The 2011 MWAM band completed a strong 60 show tour throughout the five boroughs of New York City. The focus of the tour was fitness and healthy habits; helpful information and statistics can be found below.
In the United States:
- About ~300,000 people die because of obesity
- There are an average of 2.4 million deaths a year, making fitness issues nearly 10% of deaths: that's a lot!
Lack of fitness can start from a young age:
- 16% of kids are obese
- They have an 80% chance of becoming obese adults!
These numbers are highly influenced by parents:
- Having one obese parent gives the child a 50% chance of being obese
- Make it two parents, it goes up to a whopping 80%.
Despite these factors, it's never too late to change up the habits. Parents, take note: you have a big influence on your kid. If you can start a healthy plan for the family, everyone will benefit from it by reducing health issues (and you'll lose those extra pounds you don't want!)
- Joining a sport is a great idea, especially at a young age. It will reinforce healthy habits.
- Have the kids join with friends! They need encouragement not only from parents, but from peers, too. Having a huge following is an amazing incentive for kids to keep at it.
- It's not much they have to do. Average recommended exercise for kids is 20-30 minutes for about 2-3 days. Most sport coaches demand more which is even better!
- Pick healthy choices for kids. There are a lot of tasty snacks that can keep hunger at bay while eating smart.